In honor of my birthday, I decided to share 25 (+ some) outcomes that I learned as I approach quarter of a century. There may be things that you already know, some that may apply now and some that you might need to keep at the back of your mind for later. Also, please feel free to contribute and add your own gems after 25.7 (I just couldn’t stop at 25! lol).
1. Cross that ocean. ****If it is within reason****, cross the ocean for the ones you love (even if its yourself) while you have time. If it’s on your heart to do, don’t let fear stop you.
2. Love without a limit. Love without a limit. LOVE. WITH. OUT. A. LIMIT!!!! Without a limit of age, gender, financial standing, social class, etc.
3. Love never fails. And if it fails, it wasn’t love.
4. Laugh. Often and deeply. My tourself and with good people.
5. Keep the good ones around! Keep them very close and treat them very Well!
6. Set. Boundaries. And stick to them!
7. You WILL change, almost daily. Your hair, style of clothing, taste in men, career choice, faith in God, etc.
8. It’s growth. Everything that’s going bad and everything that’s going well, it’s growing You! Flourish in the good times and uhhh…be as classy as you can through the bad. Lol.
9. It’s okay to cry. At the same time, it’s okay not to. Sometimes you’ll be the shoulder to cry on and sometimes you’ll need to borrow one. Be mindful of the shoulder you borrow.
10. Stay ready and you won’t have to get ready!
11. Financial literacy is something that you need. Unfortunately money doesn’t grow on trees…
12. At this point in life, some friends will be in school, or still figuring it out, or getting settled in their groove, and some will be married with children. You have to learn how to be a flexible friend.
13. At the same time, you have to learn that relationships change. They change because people grow at different rates and end up having a different set of standards. Accept where they are, accept where you are and continue to love them woth whatever outcome there is!
14. The next person is out there hustling just like you are. Getting it how they live just like you are. Tryna make it just like you are. Don’t judge them prematurely based off of previous circumstances/situations, but give them a head nod, word of encouragement or a hug then get back to securing the bag. Basically, don’t focus on what the next person is doing.
15. Sharing your “you-ness” with the world is the greatest gift that they could ever receive. The world needs a you like you.
16. Love liberates.
17. God never fails. NOT in his love, not in his faithfulness, and never with a promise. He is the best thing that has ever happened to and in me!
18. My mother is THE BOMB and one of my besties. My father is needed in order for me to be the best version of myself.
19. Expanding the openness of your mind will allow you to connect with and love people who you once had preconceived notions about. Expand early.
20. You have to go for it…even if you don’t want to. Going for it allows the ones behind you to see that it can be done and at the same time allows the ones ahead of you to see that their investment in you was well spent.
21. Each new day and every breath grants me a chance to fulfill my purpose.
22. You’re allowed to love from a distance.
23. Your level of Self-love is the foundation of how you will allow others to treat you for the rest of your life. Make your heart a priority…even if that leaves you alone (not lonely) for awhile.
24. Your words have power. Thinking before you speak is wondeful practice. It will save you from many apologies but at the same time, it can be a powerful tool help pick someone up out of a low place.
25. Sunflowers don’t need the sun to grow tall and point towards the sky. You don’t either, be a sunflower 🌻 (This is my most favorite lesson.)
25.1: when you do something different, expect a level of criticism that goes beyond that of which you have experienced before. Do it anyways.
25.2: Peace is so sacred and needed and taken for granted. Once you get some, grab hold to it and never let it go for anyone or anything. Fight for it.
25.3: the art of failing forward is one that everyone should learn.
25.4: be mindful of what you say, how you say it and WHO you say it to. Not everything needs to be said and not everything needs to be said to everyone.
25.5: Supporting people positively (with their talents, through grief, in school, or in their business) can lift you up while lifting them up. Go to their play, buy their album, patronize their business, etc.
25.6: You do not get to be mad or displace your anger when you, the created, have to deal with the consequences of the creator because you decided to play that role!
25.7: God will humble you and at the same time show you that you are still operating under your own will. Try your best to keep the faith, he always has your best interest at heart!
Thats all I have…for now.
24 has been a humbling, stumbling and tumbling hot mess. Right down to the last few days. 25, please give me SOMETHING good!
Love & light,