Simple Definition of metamorphosis
: a major change in the appearance or character of someone or something
biology : a major change in the form or structure of some animals or insects that happens as the animal or insect becomes an adult
Examples of metamorphosis in a sentence
We have watched her metamorphosis from a shy schoolgirl into a self-confident businesswoman.
a company that has gone through a series of metamorphoses
The government has undergone political metamorphosis since his election.
the metamorphosis of tadpoles into frogs
The class learned about how caterpillars undergo metamorphosis to become butterflies.
(Definition and examples curtesy of Merriam-Webster.com)
So, a friend of mine sent this to me in one of my group messages because it was the perfect answer to a certain conversation that we just had. She sent it about a month ago and since then I’ve been feeling myself go through some sort of a change. Now, I cannot pinpoint when or why the change started, but I do know that I feel one.
Here are a few things that I noticed throughout the process:
- Gucci got out ANDDDD released an album and I wasn’t super hype about it. Now if you know me you know that i’m low-key a lil bit hood so this was surprising even to me! I used to live on Gucci, Webbie, Boosie, and Plies. smh
- I have been listening to India.Arie for the past few weeks. Like, whole albums of hers. I’m not sure what thats about at all, but it’s happening. Maybe i’m mellowing out (not like i’ve ever been exciting) and becoming a flower child…? lol.
- I had to withdraw from a major class in my first semester of nursing school to avoid failing it…and I was open about telling people. Not people like my mama and sisters, but like strangers a.k.a. anybody other than them. This was very interesting because i’m not one who goes around announcing my failures for the simple reason that…I mean…they’re failures. No one wants to seem like a failure, but I think talking about it to others helped me accept it.
- I started going deeper in God. This started because nursing school is NO JOKE. I thought that I had God, but what I was working with was NOT enough. I managed to make it through my first semester with what I had, but once my break from school rolled around I actually had time to think about something other than tests, clinicals and stress, I knew I needed a change. Setting aside time for quiet morning devotion just between God and I has been my thing recently. I always woke up and started my day off with prayer, but as the quote says “every next level of you life will demand a different you” so I knew that I needed to be different. Really letting God lead me has been the greatest change yet.
- Burning bridges is something that I HATE doing, but I have learned that letting go of broken relationships is extremely necessary. Letting go of relationships is not the change that I have had, but having peace with the decision is a new feature for me. I usually go back overthink everything so that i’m left with an unsettling feeling. This process has changed. Drastically.
I’m sure that more changes have occurred, but these are the ones that really stuck out to me. After really reassessing myself, the only word that kept coming up in my mind was metamorphosis. As you see in the definition above, the word is described as a major change in appearance or character. The biological definition defines it as a change in an insect as it becomes an adult. As I read the definition for the word I found that it explained my current situation perfectly because my character is changing as I become an adult. I am going through a new and different phase in my life and it warrants a new and different me. Really, I feel like i’m going through an adult phase of puberty. Does this happen to all twenny-summs (twenty-somethings, for those who are confused) or am I out here all alone?
I would just like to know how long this is going to last and what other changes I have to look forward to. I’d like to think that all of this will work out in my favor because of Romans 8:28…
But God never ceases to amaze me!
As always, I will trust the process…